Friday 2 March 2012

Full Fluid Diet (gasp!)

Nothing instills fear into most people than the thought of going on a strict diet... actually, come to think of it I'm surprised that Alfred Hitchcock didn't think of that as a plot of A VERY SCARY MOVIE!  Move over flocks of crows and neurotic murderous sons... the full fluid diet has come to wreak havok and intstill terror into the heart of this hotty-in-training.

Actually, it doesn't seem all that bad.
(At least, buying the stuff that I need to start the diet tomorrow didn't hurt that much.)

In a weird flippity-floppity way, I didn't have any urge tonight to have my requisite "one last meal", like a convicted criminal on her way to the chamber.  In fact, I dove right into the dietician-approved sugar-free applesauce for my evening snack.  Weird.  I'm guessing I'll be cursing that choice to the heavens by day 2, and wishing I had traded the pouch of applesauce for a double big mac while I could have...

I guess I'm approaching this at a bit of a different angle than the usual Joe.  After all, I've gone without eating or drinking for 6 weeks (funny what a critical illness like pancreatitis can do to your body).  During the 6 weeks of IV fluids only (because I could not even keep water down), I had no pangs for anything - but I'm assuming that was because my stomache was so ill.  It took over 5 years for me to incorporate some food items back to my stomache (like red meat), so I know what it is like to go without something.

On this journey so far I've met a bunch of people who are also considering surgery, and one of the most common refrains that I hear is people lamenting the loss of X, Y, or Z from their daily intake.  For example, some people are addicted to a certain kind of food (like chocolate) or drink (like diet pop).  I honestly don't believe that to be the case for me personally, but I guess I'll soon find out.

Thankfully, I gave up using sugar years ago and switched to splenda (or similar products).  I also love to drink water.  And even though I used to drink enough Tim Horton's coffees to keep one of their stores open year-round, I recently gave up my daily 3 to 5 XL triple cream, triple sweetener coffees.  And I'm doing great!  Even better, I've lost the compulsion to roll up that godforsaken rim to see what I didn't win hahaha!

I'm actually looking forward to all of this, because it means that I'm at least doing something other than the usual - which obviously wasn't working all that well!
It's only another challenge, and let's face it, most "larger" people face challenges every single day.

Full fluids for 2 weeks?  Bring it on.

4 comments:

  1. Hi HP! I'm excited to be reading your blog again - I was a friend at WW. Full fluid diet? Are you preparing for your surgery? If you don't mind me asking I'm definetly curious. If so good luck and I look forward to reading about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just one step along the way towards surgery, which is a looooong way away based on the information supplied by the staff at the hospital. Ask away :)

      Delete
  2. I read your blog over at ww for a long time. I think surgery is a good option, if you feel you need it. I lost about 40 pounds on ww, but it slowly started to creep back on. Like you the more it came back, the more I wanted to emotionally eat. I wanted to mention that I've had a lot of success on SSRI's. I take an extremely low dose (half of the lowest dose.) and it's completely curbed my drive to emotionally eat. I now believe that I was addicted to food because I was addicted to the dopamine rush it was giving me, because I have a minor chemical imbalance in my brain (something I've had since I was a child.) I don't know what your own situation is, or whether you would consider anti anxiety medication, but it has made a world of difference on my weight loss journey.

    The other point I wanted to make was about Splenda. Recent scientific data suggests that Splenda is making people fat. Or at least, it's making rats fat. I won't touch the stuff anymore. I don't know if this is fact or fiction, but it's worth looking into.

    Good luck on your journey! You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch for the info! I hear you re the splenda issue. I just don't use sugar anymore, which I'm soooo proud of. Regular soft drinks make me gag now with their sweetness, so I switched to diet pop... but now I'm pop-free too! It is so easy to make a few small but effective changes.

      Delete