Tuesday 20 March 2012

Vacation

Here I am in sunny Florida. It is gorgeous down here. Florida is the land of sunny beaches, cheap shopping, and endless treats. I started out good. Stocked the fridge with no-sugar added snacks, salads, and yes- protein shakes. Today though I found myself at an outlet mall. I managed to skip the food court. But on the way to Starbucks for an oatmeal lunch, I was drawn into a chocolate specialty store, and next thing I knew I was walking out of the store with a "turtle apple", which was a huge green apple on a stick covered in caramel, pecans, and chocolate. My initial happiness and finding such a huge treat was soon diminished by the surging guilt I felt, knowing that I desperately want to change my life and am considering such an extreme as surgery to do so. These are the times of action. I cannot effectively change my life and retain my crappy eating habits, and nutritional neglect. And I can't afford to mindlessly swallow even an iota. An overwhelming, surging sense came through me to DO something, So, I immediately stopped eating the magical treat that found it's way into my hand at a cost of $8.95 and then I chucked it int the nearest bin. Now I know full well that there are children starving and that throwing out food is a colossal waste, but trust me, neither myself nor those kids need such food. I have to keep my mind in the game even on vacation. Sure, I could throw caution to the wind, eat like I used to because I'm on vacation, and then face re-losing whatever I gain once I get home... OR I could eat sensibly, still enjoy my vacation, but avoid the gain and the guilt. There is a lot to be said for eating well. My mind feels like there is less clutter rattling around between my two ears. When I eat something that I know I shouldn't, I dont enjoy it anymore because I feel guilty and ashamed. But when i watch whatever I eat, I feel empowered and in control. Today I learned an important lesson. It is easy to recover from a mistake. Just chuck whatever it is, and move on.... Or don't buy it to begin with.

6 comments:

  1. Great job! Recognition is huge! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HP, I think most of us will see ourselves in your post today. A few weeks ago, I bought nutella at the grocery store. My go to food in PMS. I rationalized that it was just a small jar. Next thing you know I had my face stuck in that jar. So I did exactly as you did..... In the garbage it went. I felt bad for the waste but it was a good lesson for me. Would I buy myself a 'small' bottle of vodka if I were an alcoolic? Same analogy I think.... Will I go through life without treats? Absolutely not, I just have to keep on battling myself to find the balance with those treats. I'm 98% better with it. Once in awhile, the other 2% shows up. Good for you on your decision! You would have regretted that apple for quite awhile.... Enjoy your holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you HP! We all know how easy it is to slide down that slippery slope. One treat leas to another and another. The courage to throw out the rest of that candy apple, recognize what you really want and most importantly, not beat yourself is huge! I am learning to be kinder to myself especially if I do slip up and congratulate myself when I do well. Today was a tough day, but in the end, I won.
    Enjoy Florida...one of my favourite places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contragulations on having the strength to make the right choice.
    You nailed it when you said that most of us give in when we are on vacation. It's like a free pass to gain. But in the end for 3 minutes of enjoyment, you'll have days of work when you get back to lose the weight.
    Even worse is the psychological damage - you would have wondered, do I want this enough? Am I strong enough?
    Now you know that you do and you are.
    It will for sure make me think twice the next time I reach for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so glad that i found you again and i have found myself in that same place. Good for you girl for having the courage and strength. Your strong will is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is the vacation going HP? I miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete