Wednesday 7 March 2012

Full Fluid Update

Well, I've just finished Day 5 of this 2 week fluid trial meaning that I'm over 30% of the way to the finish line.

I have to say this has not been tough.  Waaaayyyy back in High School, the first dietitian I met encouraged me to follow a meal plan which was low in calories, low in fat, low in carbs... (and I believed low in taste!).   As soon as I saw Day 1's breakfast of one poached egg and 1 slice of whole wheat toast, I knew it just wouldn't work.

 You know the awkward phrase uttered often at the end of a relationship:  "it's not you, it's me"?  Well, it was totally me and my fear of eating a whole new way.  Maybe it's my age, my outlook, or the severity of my age combined with my desire to produce offspring -or all of these factors combined - but I'm not afraid of a new approach now.  A new approach is definitely needed after all.

I'm enjoying making things with the protein powder, and I can get pretty creative in the kitchen.  One of my coworkers thought I was drinking a fancy frozen mocha-something-or-other from Starbucks today.  Little did they know!  The protein powder definitely makes me feel full, and helps eliminate cravings.  I no longer mindlessly eat, that's for sure!  My approach has consisted of 2 protein shakes or smoothies a day, soup, oatmeal that has been thinned out, and 2 sugar free snacks a day.  I'm really looking forward to being able to eat fruits and veggies again!

Here are my stats so far:
Day 1: 874 Calories, 12 Grams of Fat, 84 Grams of Protein
Day 2: 1024 Calories, 12 Grams of Fat, 94 Grams of Protein
Day 3: 898 Calories, 13 Grams of Fat, 88 Grams of Protein
Day 4: 990 Calories, 18 Grams of Fat, 86 Grams of Protein
Day 5: 1097 Calories, 19 Grams of Fat, 94 Grams of Protein

One interesting thing is that I will not know how much weight I have lost.  Even though I'm coming at this guns a'blazing, I fully recognize that I put too much "weight" into the results of the scale, and not at the "bigger" picture.  The medical team will track my weight in clinical visits and follow-ups.  I'm fully comfortable leaving this in their capable hands, because I know that I am just one of those people that risk failure by frequent weighing and self-abuse if God forbid the scales don't show my efforts.

I haven't had hunger (except for day 2 when I didn't realize that I should have had my second smoothie earlier than after-supper; which led to some pretty incredible cravings).  I also haven't had the urge to cheat not one bit, and have easily bypassed things such as birthday cake, chicken and chips, fish and chips, and hot turkey sandwiches.   I have eaten out 3 times for different family functions and have stuck with soup - glorious soup!  And I'm loving it!

I have my first clinical appointment next week, and I'm really looking forward to knowing more about this all.  I'll have to learn quickly and add some more healthy elements in, because the week after that I'm on vacation!



4 comments:

  1. Is this something long term? WW is much more liveable than protein shakes. Why are you consuming so little calories??! Below 1200 is considered starvation mode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is for 2 weeks as commanded by the bariatric program at the hospital. And it is extremely liveable so far :)

      Delete
  2. Good for you for trying something new! I followed you over on WW and glad to see you have a blog again. Would you be willing to post some smoothie recipes that you use? I'm trying to broaden my smoothie horizons lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to read your stories again. I read at WW and totally get what you are saying about needing to find what works for you and having a bit more customization. Good luck

    ReplyDelete