Monday 31 December 2012

Goodbye 2012 Hello 2013

The New Year will be upon us all in but a few hours.  Hard to imagine that 2012 is done already!  This has not been an easy year for us.  A year ago we started Operation Stork, and honestly I was pretty convinced that it would happen within a couple of months.  But alas, it was not meant to be I guess.  This year also saw the deaths of a couple of close family members which was difficult for sure.

However, 2012 has been a wonderful year in some ways.  I will always remember this year as the one in which I was sleeved.  Even though it was only 3 weeks ago and therefore really at the end of the year, the procedure was definitely my high point for this past year.  Before this, I had been drifting aimlessly waiting for either the Stork or for surgery, and at least one of the two happened!

I can't help but wonder what might lie ahead in 2013.  The most obvious wish that I have would be that I lose a little weight and gain healthy tendencies.  I have absolutely no idea what I can expect with regards to weight loss, but at least I can expect to lose.  After the epic fail of last night, today my total intake has been liquids (mostly water and a little apple juice), 1/3 of a bowl of oatmeal, and 1 scrambled egg with a slice of low-fat cheese.  And I was stuffed after each "meal".

This coming year will certainly be one of discovery as I get to know my sleeve and what it will (or more prominently will NOT) tolerate.  I am enjoying the feeling of restriction in a way that has never been possible.  With every morsel that I ingest or even every sip that I drink I constantly have to evaluate my body's response.  This, in turn, makes me far more in tune with my body than I ever have been before.  I look back at all of the mindless eating of my past, and I'm boggled at how quick I could shovel in a major amount of food and not even have to think about how my body reacted to it.  I am thankful and ecstatic that I am not able to do that anymore.  I am also really happy that when I have a little bit to eat or drink, I quickly fill up and feel very satisfied.  Hunger has not been a part of my life now for 3 weeks, and life is completely different.

Honestly I have no idea if I'll ever get pregnant.  But, at least now I do know that I'm going to be much healthier and much happier.  I will be a better person - and hopefully a better Mom - than I would have been had my weight continued to climb. 

Specific things I'm looking forward to for 2013: re-joining a local gym (I think I'll start back with Curves because I had SUCH fun there), re-joining Zumba, re-joining Water Fitness.  Actually, I'm looking forward to re-joining living my life. 

I can't imagine how much better I will be a year from now.  Not solely because my weight will be lower, but I'll be actively pursuing life instead of watching it drift by. 

In 2013 I will continue to get to know my new sleeve.
In 2013 I will learn to eat based on nutrition.
In 2013 I will be active and will pursue physical endeavours.
In 2013 I will travel to Europe for 3 weeks.
In 2013 I will NOT have to wait for a stork, or wait to have surgery.

In 2013 I will LIVE.

Happy New Year to us all!

2 comments:

  1. Been transformed to SSW (self-sufficient woman). Check out my blog!

    By the way, I love your affirmations for the new year! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete