Tuesday 5 March 2013

Wild Ride

One week ago I went downhill again.

Same old same old.

Dehydration, difficulty swallowing even liquids.

When I ended up back on IV I hit a pretty low point.  I was starting to wonder if I would ever get back to being me again, and live outside of the hospital!  Or was this the new normal???

Thankfully, I have one of the best surgeons in the Province.  He saw me in his clinic right away last Wednesday. 

Thursday I underwent a dilation.  This procedure is done during an endoscope.  In case you have lived life blissfully unaware of what an endoscope is, it is where they guide a camera and what feels like 100 yards of tubing down your throat.

I've been "scoped" before way back in the days of an ill gall-bladder.  But let me tell you that being scoped when your body doesn't even want you to swallow water (let alone a tube that felt as though it was as wide as my thumb) is a tricky matter.  It was less than pretty.

My surgeon, God bless his cotton socks, decided that it needed to be done.  So Thursday I returned to the hospital, had another IV hooked up for dehydration again, and I got scoped and "stretched".  While he was in there having a good look around he actually dilated my sleeve (which to this point had been behaving badly in terms of TOO much restriction).

He found what he calls a "stricture", meaning that I had a narrowing of some part or other of my sleeve.  I have another name for it, but I think too much of you to type that here.

Anyhow.... yes, it was pretty bad, but guess what???

It worked!

I am totally excited at the new me that I feel that I now am.  I can swallow no problem.  I now am re-learning how to eat and drink, and I'm taking my time.

Even with these hiccups in the road, I am SO glad to have had this surgery. It has been a life-changing.  Thankfully we have a wonderful support group that meets once a month at the hospital, and I have made so many friends there that completely understand these challenges in a way that is difficult for most others to "get".

I saw the surgeon at the hospital again today for a re-check, and he told me that I'm back to being "exceptional" with an excellent prognosis.  I stepped on the scales again (which I only do at clinical appointments) and I was delighted that I've lost another 4 pounds since 5 days ago.  My grand total now is 77 down.  Wowzers!

Here's hoping that the coming days are as good as these past few have turned out to be.

7 comments:

  1. Super awesome !!! I thought of you just this morning as I contemplate joining WW yet again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great News....so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please please come back to ww - at least to blog. In case you didn't know you do NOT have to be an on line member to use the community. So many people miss your blogs, myself included.

    I'm happy your feeling better. that's a relief.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I've been thinking about you and that I'm a bit concerned. Please let us know how you are doing if you get a chance my friend!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope things are well HP. Please update us soon :)

    ReplyDelete